- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- One 28-ounce can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth
- Two 15-ounce cans of dark red kidney beans, rinsed, & drained
- One 15-ounce can of sweet corn, rinsed and drained
For topping – Cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
Place oil in a large pot and place over medium to high heat. Add in the onion, garlic, and red pepper, and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, add in ground turkey and break up the meat, cooking until no longer pink. Add in the chilli powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt, and stir for 20 seconds.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans, and corn. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until chilli thickens and flavors come together.
Garnish with the avocado, chips, cheese, and/or sour cream.
I still live in an old fashioned neighborhood where recipes are shared and dishes are never returned empty. This was the first dish Tonka ever shared with me as a new neighbor, and it came on a cold and rainy evening – perfect timing! Tonka has since moved, but her recipe will always have her name attached to it in my family 😉 Miss you, Tonka!